- About Us
- Our Services
- DENTAL TOURISM
- Contact Us
17 Mar, 2020
A dental cap or a crown is a cover that is placed over natural tooth structure to restore the tooth to its normal size, shape and function. This procedure is carried out by our restorative specialist (prosthodontist). It can be indicated in various scenarios such as:
• When the cavity is too large for a filling
• When tooth is cracked, worn down, or otherwise weakened
Depending on the material used to fabricate, the crowns are classified as:
1) Acrylic or Resin Crowns are made of a plastic resin material. These crowns are usually used only as a temporary crown for your comfort and function. These crowns must be changed with inal crowns once they are ready from the laboratory.
2) Full Metal Crowns which may include gold, palladium, nickel, or chromium as base metals. Metal crowns rarely chip or break, last the longest in terms of wear down, and only require a small amount of tooth to be removed. They can also withstand biting and chewing forces. The metallic colour is the main drawback. Metal crowns are a good choice for out-of-sight molars.
3) Porcelain-fused-to-metal dental crowns can be matched to the colour of the teeth beside them. They have a more natural tooth colour. However, sometimes the metal under the crown’s porcelain cap shows through as a dark line. Other drawbacks are that the crown’s porcelain portion can chip or break off and there is more wearing down of the teeth opposite them in the mouth. (The top and bottom tooth that come into contact when the mouth is closed.) These crowns can be a good choice for front or back teeth.
4) All-ceramic or all-porcelain dental crowns provide the best natural colour match than any other crown type. They are also a good choice for people with metal allergies. However, also may wear down the teeth opposite them in the mouth a little more than metal or resin crowns. All-ceramic crowns are a good choice for front and back teeth. However, Zirconia as a material is not as translucent (allowing light) as porcelain crowns, so patients may not like the appearance of them.
While permanent crowns and bridges can last a lifetime, they do sometimes come loose or fall out. The most important step you can take to ensure the longevity of your crown is to practice good oral hygiene. Brushing and Flossing regularly and routine check-ups can definitely help maintain its health as well as maintain healthy status of your teeth and gums.
Here at Therapeuo Mumbai’s only NABH Accredited dental clinic near you, you can be sure of the strict protocols we follow in order to ensure and maintain your safety. We offer an array of dental services like restorative dentistry, children’s dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, laser dentistry, teeth whitening. Therapeuo ensures your comfort and safety ensuring a well-informed diagnosis helping to complete your treatment efficiently and correctly. As you enter our doors you can breathe easy and be assured that you’re in good hands.
Book your appointment with us for a perfect oral health!
Call us at +91 22 22165910/11/12